1. It should have a pH of 3.8 to 4.2¹
A pH level refers to how acidic or alkaline something is. A healthy vagina has a slightly acidic pH that sits somewhere between 3.8 and 4.2¹. All sorts of things can affect your vagina’s pH levels, including stress, medication and contraceptives.¹ That’s why GynaGuard products are formulated to restore and maintain an ideal vaginal pH balance.
You might wonder why the vagina needs to be slightly acidic. It’s because most harmful bacteria have a hard time surviving in an acidic environment. Keeping those harmful bacteria at bay is not only important for general hygiene and comfort, but also to help avoid infection and diseases. If you’re struggling with infections, you may need to get your pH levels in check.²
3. A vagina shouldn’t be dry
Vaginal dryness can be a problem for women of any age, but it is more common after menopause. It can be very uncomfortable – often associated with itching, burning, and painful intercourse.³ In a survey, 50% of South African post-menopausal women complained of vaginal dryness, and 40% were untreated.⁴
But there’s no reason for any woman to suffer with dryness. GynaGuard Lubricating Moisturising Gel⁵ is widely available and helps with vaginal dryness.
Healthy vaginas are full of ‘good’ bacteria that help preserve correct pH levels and prevent infections from harmful bacteria¹ˊ⁸ . Lots of things can disturb this vaginal flora¹, which is why GynaGuard formulates its Vaginal Capsules⁶ and Foam Bath variants⁷ with probiotics, to help make sure your good bacteria are there to keep you comfortable.
Your vagina essentially uses discharge to clean itself.⁸ That’s why you shouldn’t wash inside your vagina – it can cause imbalances among the good bacteria that help keep infections at bay.⁸
6. Vaginas can be sensitive to all sorts of things
Contraceptives, certain medications, stress and even sperm can irritate and alter the vaginal environment.¹ If you’re experiencing inflammation, itching, strange odours or just general discomfort, try switching to a pH-balanced, fragrance-free wash. If the problem persists, definitely see a doctor, there’s no need to suffer in silence.
GynaGuard products are categorised into three ranges for ease of use: the Comfort Range is your gentle, go-to range for everyday feminine hygiene. It consists of the Essential Intimate Wash, Intimate Cleansing pH Bar, Intimate Comfort Gel, Daily Comfort Sensitive Wipes and Foam Bath (Fragrance-Free and Lightly Fragranced variants).
The Control Range focuses on restoring pH balance and soothing discomfort and irritations and includes Ultimate Intimate Wash and Vaginal Capsules. The Intimate Range comprises Lubricating Moisturising Gel, specially formulated to enhance natural lubrication, soothe irritation and relieve dryness
Visit http://www.gynaguard.co.za to find out more about this pHenomenal range of pH balancing intimate products, available from retail stores and leading pharmacies. Join the conversations on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. #GynaGuard #HappyVHappyMe
GynaGuard® Vaginal Capsules. Each vaginal capsule contains Lactobacillus gasseri EB01; Lactobacillus rhamnosus PB01 (Total count: 0,2 x 109 CFU). Health Supplement. This unregistered medicine has not been evaluated by the SAHPRA for its quality, safety or intended use. Consult your doctor, pharmacist or other healthcare professional for advice before using GynaGuard® Vaginal Capsules. Adcock Ingram Limited. Reg. No. 1949/034385/06. Private Bag X69, Bryanston, 2021, South Africa. Tel. +27 11 635 0000. www.adcock.com. 202103161093520. Customer Care: 0860 ADCOCK/232625. www.gynaguard.co.za April 2021.
1. Gor HB. Vaginitis. Medscape. [cited 2019 Oct 04]; Available from: https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/257141-print. Accessed December, 2018.
2. Goje O. Overview of Vaginal Infections. MSD Manual Consumer Version. [cited 2019 Oct 04]; Available from: https://www.msdmanuals.com/home/women-s-health-issues/vaginal-infections-and-pelvic-inflammatory-disease/overview-of-vaginal-infections#. Accessed September, 2019.
3. Vaginal dryness: causes and moisturizing treatments. WebMed. [cited 2019 Oct 04]; Available from: https:// www.webmd.com/women/guide/vaginal-dryness-causes-moisturizing-treatments#1. Accessed May, 2019.
4. Guidozzi F, Thomas C, Smith T, et al. CLarifying vaginal atrophy’s impact On SEx and Relationships (CLOSER) survey in South Africa. Climateric 2017;20(1):49-54.
5. GynaGuard Lubricating Moisturising Gel Product Summary Leaflet.
6. GynaGuard Vaginal Capsules Product Summary Leaflet.
7. a. GynaGuard Comfort Foam Bath [Fragrance Free] 475ml Product Summary Leaflet.
7. b. GynaGuard Comfort Foam Bath [Lightly Fragranced] 475ml
8. Anatomy and Physiology of the Female Reproductive System OpenStax. BCCampus Open Education. https://opentextbc.ca/anatomyandphysiology/chapter/27-2-anatomy-and-physiology-of-the-female-reproductive-system/